Buddies in Monster Hunter Rise (MHR or MHRise) are companions that a hunter can bring to their expedition. As well all love and know, the Palicoes make their triumphant return in this new Monster Hunter series but they are now joined by the brand new Palamutes. Each buddy works differently but both of them provide tactical support for the hunter. This page covers information regarding the buddy feature in MH Rise.
Buddies can be fully customized as well during character creation, so players can customize your Palamute's coat, eyes, ears, tail, and voice, and Palicoes let you pick your favorite support type on top of that too. Buddies can be pet as well at any time you want. Take note that in single-player mode, you can take any combination of two Buddies with you but in multiplayer mode, you can only bring along one Buddy, so choose wisely.
Monster Hunter Rise Buddies
- See Palico Equipment for a full list of Palico Armor, Weapons, and Layered Armor!
- Palicoes have behaviors:
- Large Only: Exclusively targets large monsters
- Large First: Prioritizes large monsters
- Balanced: Attacks all monsters
- Small First: Prioritizes small monsters
- Small Only: exclusively targets small monsters
- Palicoes have 5 specializations that give them specific support moves:
- Healer - A support type that focuses on recovery moves. Uses healing to keep hunters in tip-top fighting shape.
- Assist - A support type that's ready to assist. Places traps to weaken monsters and set up advantageous situations.
- Fight - A support type that focuses on combat. Can become fur-ious, boosting its own attack and making it a fantastic fighting furball.
- Bombardier - A support type with a penchant for blowing things up. Has high explosive power and can handle large bombs.
- Gathering - A support type that can sniff out valuables. Highly suited to pilfering items and collecting quality materials.
- They can serve as harvesting helpers for gathering Items in the wild.
- In combat, they can support you with offensive and defensive maneuvers.
- Palicoes are a cat-like combat companion, they provide the hunter with tactical support in battle.
- They are reliable when it comes to hunting since they are capable of assisting the hunter in different ways.
- They are capable of communicating with local wild cats and convince them to help hunters by setting traps.
- See Palamute Equipment for a full list of Palamute Armor, Weapons and Layered Armor!
- Palamute Tactis are as follow:
- Basic: Close range melee damage
- Pincer: Works with the hunter to attack in pincer formation
- Follow: Attacks while remaining near their hunter
- Palamute Skills can include:
- Health Up, Attack Up, Negate Paralysis, Knockout King, Artful Dodger, Earplugs, Element Attack Up, Ranged Attack Up
- Palamutes have special GEAR (See our Palamute Gear page for more info):
- Dual Blade Chain
- Steel Fang
- Stoutcore Fang
- Guarding Parasol
- Large Shuriken
- Palamutes are a new type of Buddy that will join you on your hunts.
- You can even use some items and recover health while on the move.
- They will synchronize their attacks with you, and they will even let you ride on their backs.
- As long as you're riding a Palamute, you will not consume any stamina, so you can run across the fields to your heart's content.
You can give commands to your Buddies. "Wait!" is one such order that you can issue, which directs your buddy to stop in place. "Let me Ride!" is another, which allows you to ride a Palamute. Skillfull command of your Buddies will help make for a smooth hunting collaboration.
Communicating with Buddies
Use the "Wait!" command to put your Buddy into standby. If you walk up to Buddies that are on standby, you can interact with them. Follow the button prompts to see all the fun things you can do with your furry friends!
When accompanied by a Palamute, you'll have access to the Let me Ride! command, allowing for rapid transport within a locale. Hop on your Palamute and you'll arrive at your destination in no time! There are two ways to ride a Palamute:
- Hold down while near a Palamute.
- Issue the "Let me Ride!" command from the action bar.
Palamute Riding Controls are as follows:
- Use the to move around.
- Hold to dash forward.
- Press to jump.
- Press and use the to drift while dashing
- Press to attack.
- Press to dismount.
- Press to perform a jumping dismount while dashing.