Wyvern Riding in Monster Hunter Rise (MHR or MHRise) is a new combat mechanic. Wyvern Riding utilizes the Wirebug, allowing the hunter to ride a Monster that is in a "mountable state". Once you are bound to a monster, you can control it and wreak havoc!
How to Mount a Monster
- Get monsters into a "mountable state" by attacking them enough with Wirebug attacks, letting them fight each other, or using certain Endemic Life. Approach a monster in this state and land a blow, or sheathe your weapon and press the corresponding button to start Wyvern Riding. Press when you approach the monster to ride it.
- Alternatively, players can also use a Puppet Spider which does the same thing.
Wyvern Riding Commands
- : Light Attack
- : Strong Attack
- +: Move
- : Evade
- : Launch Monster
- +: Mounted Punisher
- Wyvern Riding Gauge: The Wyvern Riding Gauge can be filled by damaging monsters or shrugging off an attack by evading just before it hits.
- Wyvern Riding Timer: Shows how long you can keep riding. Time is recouped when you land attacks, and heavily lost when you are hit.
- Attack Linking and Combos: Certain button sequences and repetitions execute transitions or combos when Wyvern Riding. These can also be triggered with the .
Wyvern Riding Actions
If you manage to control the monster properly, you'll be able to perform special attacks and dodges. You have two types of regular attacks at your disposal: a quick weak attack, or a strong attack that does a lot of damage but moves more slowly. Some of these attacks will change depending on specific combinations. Try riding as many different monsters as you can!
- Moving: You can control monsters' movement freely while riding them. You can also transition to attacking or evading at any time.
- Emergency Evading: While attacking or being hit, you can evade more quickly than usual by pressing , at the cost of your Wirebug Gauge.
- Shrugging off Attacks: Dodging or Emergency Evading just as you are about to be hit will stun your foe and also fill your Wyern Riding Gauge.
- Launching Monsters: Press while Wyvern Riding to dismount and send the monster flying forward. You'll topple the monster if it collides with a wall or another monster. If your press just as the monster hits the wall, you can use a Wirebug to hop back onto it, launch it again, and sent it crashing into the wall once more.
- Mounted Punishers: Can be used once your Wyvern Riding Gauge is full. This will deal a huge blow to a monster, so make sure not to miss. You only have a limited time to use it though, and if you miss the attack window, you will automatically dismount.
- Landing the Mounted Punisher: While Mounted Punisher is available, you can use and attacks to down the monster, making it easier to land the cop de grace.
Wyvern Riding Trivia
- While Wyvern Riding, you may be able to get hit by other monster's attacks, and you might faint while riding, cancelling the Wyvern Riding.
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Launching into another non prone monster will most likely stun it so it can be rode instead useful if trying to soften up a quest monster but the wrong monster got stunned first
Holding LS in the down position activates an alternative attack for both heavy and light attacks. So, in my playing, there are at least 4 different basic attacks (2 light, 2 heavy), that can themselves be combo-starters.