Narwa (Thunder Serpent Narwa) is a Large Monster in Monster Hunter Rise (MHR or MHRise). She is the final boss of Monster Hunter Rise's base-game main campaign, and defeating Narwa is a requirement for access to the Sunbreak Expansion.
The item with the lowest drop chance, dropped my Narwa, is the Thunder Serpent Orb, which is the item that will have hunters farming Narwa for a while. Check our Builds to get better prepared against Narwa and farm the item more quickly.
Thunder Serpent Narwa Monster Guide: Characteristics, Weaknesses, Drops, Locations, Weapons & Armor, Strategies, Tips & Tricks and more to help you defeat Thunder Serpent Narwa in MH Rise.
My king, o my king. Come forth now with haste. With my elegant lightning. Let us lay this land to waste. Tear apart the skies. Rend the clouds asunder. Pave the road to paradise. With hurricane and thunder
Narwa Details & Locations
Narwa is an elder dragon and Wind Serpent's Ibushi's "queen." Its thundersacs glow with accumulated electrical charge; it is thought that these organs therefore generate the powerful magnetic field that lifts the creature and anything around it high into the air.
- Class: Elder Dragon
- Size: 3875.05
- Fixed Size, no crowns
- Small Monster version: N/A
- Hostile at all times
- Attacks other monsters: N/A
- Found in:
- Turf War(s):
- Target of Quests:
Serpent Goddess of Thunder
- See Narwa the Allmother for a variation.
MH Rise Thunder Serpent Narwa Combat Info
Attacking its thundersacs that have stored energy will cause them to discharge, grounding the beast. Those on its underside are its weakest, provided you can time an attack for when they aren't blocked by its fins. If you are crafty, you can even use the levitating terrain to your advantage. Platforms generally rise whenever the Narwa hits the ground, the harder it hits it, the upper the platform will rise. If the platform is too high, you can use the wirebug to reach to top of it, where generally you will be at a better reach to the Narwa's Thundersac. You will also have many opportunities to hit Narwa's head everytime it's upside down. Save one wirebug to jump close and start hitting it whenever the creature gives you the chance.
- Threat Level: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Elemental Thunder Damage monster.
- Weak to Dragon (⭐⭐⭐) and Ice (⭐⭐)
- Resistant to Fire, Water and Thunder (Immune)
- Kinsect Extracts:
- Red: Head, Neck, Back (Charged)
- Orange: Wingarm, Wingarm (Charged)
- White: Torso, Chest (Charged), Abdomen (Thundersac), Leg Fin, Tail, Tail Tip (Charged)
- Enraged Mode: ??
- Rampage: Thunder Serpent Narwa cannot be fought in the Rampage.
Quick Combat Tips
- Narwa's most vulnerable spot is the gigantic Thundersac on its abdomen. This sac is difficult to attack as Narwa is always floating in the air. There are plenty of opportunities to attack the sac throughout the fight but they are usually very quick. Always make the best of these windows and get a few hits in.
- Narwa's head and wingarms are also prime candidates for dealing good damage against the elder dragon. Focus on these parts until Narwa is knocked down and quickly swap focus on the Thundersac. If the thundersac is out of reach, quickly find an elevated platform to help you get close to it and continue attacking.
- Success in this fight hinges on your ability to avoid damage from Narwa's constant barrage of Lightning attacks, your ability to maneuver with the Wirebug, and making the best of attack windows and using the weapon emplacements in the battlefield.
- Most of Narwa's attacks come in the form of lightning projectiles taking on various shapes and sizes, expanding or contracting as they travel through the battlefield. The lightning attacks can be in the shape of rings, orbs or spires among others.
- Think of Bullet Hell-style video games where players are constantly bombarded with a hail of projectiles and the player has to expertly maneuver through gaps in between them to avoid damage. The same principle applies here. Always pay attention to its projectile patterns and look for gaps in between. These attack are generally very slow but still require a lot of movement as they take a lot of space from the hunters.
- Narwa will periodically raise platforms all around the battlefield. Some of these are positioned just the right way to evade or block certain attacks, some are used to get closer to Narwa to press the attack and some can even contain weapon emplacements similar to the ones found in the Rampage such as Ballistae, Cannons and Machine Cannons which can be a significant help in the fight against the elder dragon. All platforms are temporary and will eventually plummet back to the earth or get destroyed by Narwa.
- Make use of the weapon emplacements whenever possible to deal lots of damage to Narwa and more easily ground her. The emplacements can even be used to guard against attacks by pressing the appropriate button.
- There is a Dragonator and a Splitting Wyvern Shot on the wall on the far side of the battlefield. These powerful contraptions can deal immense damage to Narwa but require a long time to charge up. You will be notified when the weapons are ready to use.
- The Dragonator is a set of 3 massive mechanical lances that shoot out of the wall and bore into their targets with such force that it can stagger and stun any manner of monster.
- The Splitting Wyvern Shot is a massive artillery cannon that shoots a specialized shell designed to split a wyvern in half, hence its name. On impact, it explodes into a gigantic blaze with a force strong enough to stagger or stun even the most powerful monsters. This is best saved when Narwa begins channeling her ultimate move to prevent it from using the deadly attack.
- Be on the lookout for platforms you can use to evade certain attacks or get closer to Narwa's Thundersac.
- Bring lots of Nulberries as nearly all of Narwa's attacks inflict the Thunderblight status effect, making hunters more susceptible to getting stunned. Alternatively, equip the Stun Resistance skill at level 3 to negate the stunning property altogether.
Thunder Serpent Narwa Attacks & Moveset
Thunder Rings - Narwa cojures rings of electricity that travel slowly towards their targets. Most rings expand in radius while some contract and others stay the same size. The ceneters are usually open and are safe to pass through. Some ring patterns consist of multiple rings that have overlapping bands along their travel path, requiring hunters to weave through the gaps in between. The following are some ring patterns that Narwa uses:
- Contracting Ring Shot - While floating in the air, Narwa points a fist towards a hunter and shoots out a single, medium-sized ring that contracts as it travels through the air. Unlike most rings, the opening in the center closes the further out it travels, preventing hunters from passing through. However, the ring itself also becomes smaller allowing hunters to simply sidestep the attack.
- Ground Coils - While floating upside down with its head close to the ground, Narwa points a fist towards a hunter and releases sets of rings that travel along the ground, expanding in radius the further out they are. These sets of rings come in 2, 3 or 4 subsequent rings in a single fist shot and each set has a much smaller ring in the center that serves to reduce the size of the safezone. Further variations to this attack see the monster releasing a set from one hand, followed by a set from its other hand or a simultanerous release from both hands with a lot of overlap. Maintain a good distance when you don't have a good opening for attack to more easily maneuver around these rings.
- Thunder Orb - Narwa will sometimes release a giant ball of lightning that travels very quickly and is often shot through the center of rings. These orbs explode on contact and deal very heavy damage as well as further adding complexity to Narwa's ring patterns. Narwa can also use standalone orbs without the rings.
- Thunder Ring Flurry - While floating high in the air, Narwa spins around laterally, summoning 3 orbs of lightning on its left side and 3 on its right. After a brief pause, Narwa punches the ground with both fists, transforming the orbs into rings that expand rapidly and travel outwards. Narwa may also toss out a giant Thunder Orb along the path as well.
- Falling Rings - Narwa floats close to the ground and plunges her fists into the earth, summoning 3 thick rings above her, one with a large radius, one with a medium radius sitting inside the large one and a final ring with a small radius sitting inside the first two. Narwa then pulls her fists out of the ground, sending the rings crashing down in a cascading fashion starting with the smallest ring. Narwa also repositions onto her back, setting her abdomen and thundersac right under the smallest ring. Melee players can stand under the smallest ring's center to attack Narwa during the long animation and recovery while ranged players can stay right outside and take shots at her thundersac from afar.
Mind that angular movement is faster when you are closer to the target monster. This means that you don't need to run or dodge too much to the side to avoid a Ring attack, as the attacks are slow. But being close means that you will require better reaction time. By doing this you will be much closer to the Narwa and also have much more time to hit it will it's performing the ring attacks.
Thundering Beam - Narwa raises her head as lightning crackles and flashes around her mouth. She then unleashes a massive beam of lightning beginning directly underneath her and then scooping the beam outwards in a long streak across the ground similar to Rathalos' move. The beam is followed by cascading lightning blasts exploding directly behind it along its path so be careful of the multiple overlapping hitboxes.
Sweeping Thundering Beam - Narwa floats close to the ground and on her side. She then unleashes her thundering beam, pivoting in place and sweeping the beam across a near-360 degree arc. Look for elevated platforms and get behind them or above them to evade the attack. Alternatively, perform a vertical Wiredash to vault over the beam as it sweeps by.
Thundersac Beam Barrage - Narwa floats upside down with her head close to the ground, pointing her abdomen downwards and unleashing multiple bright white/purplish beams from her Thundersac that fan outwards. Maintain distance from Narwa until the beams fan out enough that you can weave between the expanding gaps between them.
Thundersac Carousel - Narwa raises several platforms all around her and then coils up around her Thundersac in the center and rotates in place. She then unleashes multiple Thundersac beams the flared outwards in a circular pattern, rotating in a carousel-like motion. Narwa also continually releases thick upright thunder rings that expand and travel in four cardinal directions from her. Make your way up to one of the platforms with a weapon emplacement and aim for the thundersac, taking care to guard as the rings pass by.
Thunder Spire Barrage - Narwa floats upside down and raises several platforms all around the battlefield and then forms multiple pillars of lightning which travel outwards in all directions around her. She also releases horizontal rings at different heights, expanding outwards slowly. Her thundersac is exposed during the long animation of this move so get up on one of the platforms with a weapon emplacement and fire away while guarding against the incoming lightning attacks.
Thundering Nova Combo - This is Narwa's ultimate move and is comprised of three parts:
- Charge Up - Narwa raises multiple platforms all around her and then coils up around her thundersac in the center, charging it up. Her charge-up will take a bit of time and you should take this moment to get up on the platforms with weapon emplacements and bombard Narwa with everything. Knocking her down during this phase will interrupt her charge and prevent her from proceeding with her ultimate move so consider saving your Splitting Wyvern Shot for this moment. If she charges successfully, she will unleash a devastating dual-sequence move. Getting hit by attacks in the following sequences can quickly KO a hunter so be wary.
- Thundering Megabeam - Charged up with energy, Narwa flies straight up high above the battlefield. She points her snout downwards and unleashes a massive beam of lightning from her mouth, similar in color to her thundersac beams. She then begins rotating the beam in a stirring motion. Get under one of the floating platforms to block the attack.
- Thundering Novabomb - After unleashing the megabeam, Narwa decends slowly while maintaining her upside-down posture. She opens her maw, charging a dark purple orb of immense energy. Once her head reaches the same level as the floating platforms, she releases the orb onto the ground, releasing a massive shockwave that will KO any hunters at ground level. Get on top of one of the floating platforms to avoid this attack.
Homing Thunderbolts - While floating upside down, Narwa charges up her thundersac and releases several lightning projectiles up into the sky. They quickly home in on a target with strong tracking. Stand underneath an elevated platform to block the barrage. You can also just sprint around the battlefield and the bolts will eventually crash into the ground behind you.
Tail Uppercut - Narwa swings her massive tail in a large arc along the ground, ending in a diagonal upward tail kick. The attack's intended path is clearly telegraphed and can easily be avoided by staying on the opposite side, under her back.
Tail Slam - Narwa floats upright slowly, flailing her arms while raising her tail slightly. She then performs a somersault and sends her tail crashing into the ground in front of her, dealing very heavy damage to hunters caught in the path. This attack has massive reach but has next to no tracking. Keep moving sideways to dodge the attack. Narwa will remain in the end position for a few seconds, with her thundersac exposed. Take this time to get a few hits in. This attack will sometimes cause platforms to rise up that you may need to jump up to in order to reach the sac.
Twister Dash - Narwa floats upright and after a brief pause, dashes forward, twisting and turning in a corkscrew pattern, ramming into anything along her path. The attack comes very quickly but usually from a good distance so hunter should have plenty of time to dodge the move. A variation of this move sees Narwa releasing multiple expanding rings along the wake of her dash.
Thunder Serpent Narwa Weaknesses
The table below indicates the various parts of the monster, including the types of damages that are weak to it. This information is specific to MH Rise.
|Thunder Serpent Narwa Parts|
|Tail Tip (Charged)||70||65||35|
The table below indicates the various parts of the monster, including the different elements that are weak to it.
Thunder Serpent Narwa Ailment Effectiveness
The higher the bars on the graphs and the more stars, the more advantageous it will be for the player. This information is specific to MH Rise.
Poison Status Effect Graph
Stun Status Effect Graph
Paralysis Status Effect Graph
Sleep Status Effect Graph
Blast Status Effect Graph
Exhaust Status Effect Graph
Fireblight Status Effect Graph
Waterblight Status Effect Graph
Thunderblight Status Effect Graph
Iceblight Status Effect Graph
Thunder Serpent Narwa Materials
The tables below contains information on the different Items and Materials that can be obtained from the Low Rank and High Rank variations of Thunder Serpent Narwa
High Rank Thunder Serpent Narwa
The table below indicates the various materials or items obtained from the High Rank variation of Thunder Serpent Narwa, it also includes the percentage chance of how it can be acquired.
|Material||Target Rewards||Capture Rewards||Break Part Rewards||Carves||Dropped Materials|
|Narwa Carapace||22%||--||--||37% (Body), 17% (Tail)||--|
|Narwa Hide +||32%||--||17% (Horn), 97% (Abdomen)||29% (Body)||--|
|Narwa Horn +||12%||--||80% (Horn)||--||--|
|Narwa Sparksac||14%||--||60% (Back), 20% (Wingarm)||80% (Tail)||30%|
|Narwa Tentacle||18%||--||40% (Back)||12% (Body)||--|
|Thunder Serpent Orb||2%||--||3% (Horn), 3% (Abdomen)||1% (Body), 3% (Tail)||1%|
|Narwa Claw +||--||--||80%(x2) (Wingarm)||21% (Body)||20%|
|Elder Dragon Blood||--||--||--||--||20%|
Low Rank Thunder Serpent Narwa
This monster is High Rank Only, so there are no Low Rank materials.
Thunder Serpent Narwa Weapons & Armor
Armor and Weapons related to the Thunder Serpent Narwa Monster.
- Thunderbolt Long Sword I
- Abyssal Storm Sword
- Torrential Hail
- Thunderbolt Glaive I
- Skysoar Flash
- Thunderbolt Hammer I
- Abyssal Storm Mauler
- Thunderbolt Horn I
- Abyssal Storm Horn
- Skytremor Rumble
- Thunderbolt Gunlance I
- Abyssal Storm Gunlance
- Skyrift Thunderstorm
- Thunderbolt Axe I
- Abyssal Storm Axe
Thunder Serpent Narwa Buddies Weapons & Armor
Notes & Trivia
- Can be lured with ??
- Camouflage works until ?? range
- She is based on Raijin, the god of lightning, thunder, and storms. Raijin is the brother of Fujin, the god of wind.
- Her and Wind Serpent Ibushi's coloration may be a reference to Kinkaku and Ginkaku, the gold and silver demon brothers from Journey to the West.