Kushala Daora is a Large Monster that appears in Monster Hunter Rise (MHR or MHRise). Kushala Daora is a large flying wyvern, with a body covered in metal plates. It is usually a dark grey or black colour, with a single white wing on its back. It has four long horns protruding from its head, and its tail is long and whip-like. It is capable of generating powerful winds, which it uses to protect itself from enemies. This intimidating dragon can be found in the Frost Islands and is one of the most challenging monsters to battle. Large Monsters like Kushala Daora are hostile and are usually the primary objective of Hunts. They provide valuable Materials when defeated.
Kushala Daora Monster Guide: Characteristics, Weaknesses, Drops, Locations, Weapons & Armor, Strategies, Tips & Tricks and more to help you defeat Kushala Daora in MH Rise.
Dashing across a snowy plain
Monsters nipping at the heel
Out of breath, limbs in pain
Doomed to end as meal
One last stand, a final try
To die a hero's death
Then help arrives from the sky
Like a divine breath
MH Rise Kushala Daora Characteristics & Ecology
It's difficult to even get close to one of these metallic elder dragons, but some claim better odds if the creature is weakened with poison, or has its horn broken, limiting the amount of wind pressure it can muster.
- Class: Elder Dragon
- Size: ♕ 1817.47 ~ ♕ 2391.41
- Small Monster version: N/A
- Hostile when attacked
- Attacks other monsters: No
MH Rise Kushala Daora Location
- Kushala Daora resides in the Frost Islands, located in the east of the new world. Here you can find a wide range of subspecies and variants of this wyvern.
MH Rise Kushala Daora Combat Info
Beckons dark dragon wind pressure as the whirlwinds surrounding its body seethe more wildly, and will deflect any non-piercing bow or bowgun shots not aimed at its head. Keep on the attack to quell the wind's power — reports also tell of an opening in its stormy barrier after unleashing a giant wind attack.
- Threat Level: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Physical Damage monster
- Weak to
- Kinsect Extracts:
- Red: Head, Neck, Back, Tail
- Orange: Foreleg, Abdomen, Hind Leg
- White: Wing
- Item Effectiveness:
- Enraged Mode: Indicated by steaming breath and a stronger, more dense wind aura surrounding its body. Its aura may also be made of black wind unless dispelled with Poison. Kushala's various wind breath attacks will become much stronger and have larger hitboxes.
- Rampage: Kushala Daora currently cannot be fought in the Rampage.
Quick Combat Tips
- Kushala is surrounded by an aura of swirling winds that protect its body and generate wind pressure as it moves and attacks.
- When enraged, its wind aura turns an ominous black color, deflecting all projectile weapon shots except for piercing types. Its head will remain attackable so ranged players can aim for this spot to continue dealing damage.
- The black aura will strengthen Kushala's wind-based attacks, giving them more damage, much larger hitboxes or multiplying attacks in some cases.
- Kushala's black aura can be dispelled by poisoning the Elder Dragon. Consider using Poison weapons, as well as Poison Kunai. All missions with Kushala will have some Poison Kunai available at the supply box. Note that dispelling its black aura does not take it out of enraged state and it will retain its attacks' larger hitboxes but they will be weaker.
- Manage your Wirebugs well at all times and try to acquire a third charge if you can. Kushala has plenty of attacks that throw the hunter high into the air, often following up with a devastating finisher that can cart you in a single combo.
- Kushala will frequently take flight and attack from the air. Use Flash Bombs strategically to bring it down but use them sparingly as their effects have diminishing returns.
- Consider using Chameleos equipment with the Chameleos Blessing skill. This skill not only negates all wind pressure at Level 2 but also extends the duration of poison effects on monsters at Level 3.
- Kushala Daora is weak to dragon, thunder, and water elements. It is also weak to fire and ice, but not as much as the other elements.
- Staying mobile and using the terrain to your advantage is also important in avoiding its powerful wind attacks.
Kushala Daora Attacks & Moveset
Claw Swipe - Kushala swipes quickly with its claws in an arc in front of it. Deals moderate damage and knocks players away. Kushala can use this attack to reposition itself by pivoting its body along with the claw swipe, sweeping in a much larger arc. This attack has a deceptively large hitbox in front of it. Try to dodge through the attack or towards Kushala's other foreleg. When enraged, it can quickly follow up with a Dragon Stomp or two.
Lunge - Kushala pivots to the side before lunging forward and biting its target. When enraged, it quickly follows up with a second bite. Deals moderate damage and knocks players away. The attack's hitbox goes up to the monster's shoulders so beware when dodging.
Charge - Kushala dashes forward in a straight line, trampling anything in its path. The attack comes quick and has no obvious tells. Remain vigilant and always try to be one dodge away from the monster's side.
Headbutt - Kushala raises its head slightly and swings it in a small arc in front of it, bashing hunters with its metallic skull. If the monster's wind aura is active, the attack is also imbued with wind and can stagger hunters in front of it even if the head doesn't connect.
Wind Attacks - Kushala Daora uses a plethora of wind-based attacks to toss hunters into the air and inflict heavy damage. When enraged, most of its wind attacks have a much larger hitbox and deal more damage. If surrounded by its black wind aura, Kushala may also shoot out black wind breath attacks that not only deal massive damage, but also have immense wind pressure.
- Wind Ball - Kushala raises its head and quickly shoots out a ball of wind that travels in a straight line towards its target. Getting hit by this attack tosses the hunter sky high, resulting in a slow, twisting fall as the hunter plummets to the ground. Using a Wirefall recovery is recommended. If the black wind aura is active, Kushala can use a black wind variation of this attack which is a slightly large hitbox and moves much quicker. In addition, the outer edges of the attack's hitbox has immense wind pressure that will stagger a hunter, imposing a long recovery time even if the attack itself does not hit directly.
- Mega Wind Ball - Kushala raises its head and vacuums up air. When the attack is charged, it sends out a massive wind ball with a huge hitbox that requires two rolls or a Wiredash to evade. Getting hit by this attack knocks the hunter away and inflicts Iceblight.
- Pressurized Wind - Kushala expels a jet of highly pressurized air downwards in front of it which it then directs outwards and then up, scooping any hunters caught in the spout and tossing them high into the air. If this attack connects, Kushala will follow up with a Wind Ball aimed at the hunter in mid-air, dealing devastating damage. If the monster's black wind aura is active, it will shoot a black wind ball instead which will KO a hunter instantly unless equipped with very high level gear. Always try to have at least one Wirebug charge available in case of this attack. Wirefall immediately after getting tossed in the air.
- Tornado - Kushala takes flight and shoots condensed wind at the ground which turns into a raging tornado. The tornado has a medium radius and will travel along the ground until it dissipates after a few seconds. Getting hit will toss the hunter away and deal moderate damage. When enraged, Kushala can follow this move up with an aerial Wind Ball attack.
- Tornado Barrage - Kushala will periodically use a multi version of the Tornado attack, whipping out up to 5 tornados which scatter and travel along the ground. Not only do these tornados make it difficult to move around but they also obscure vision of the monster. Taking advantage of this, Kushala will often follow up with a Wind Ball or Pressurized Wind attack under the cloak of the tornados. Remain vigilant and always be moving sideways.
- Wind Dragon Typhoon - Kushala charges up a massive windstorm with itself at the epicenter, pulling any hunters to the middle over a wide radius. The charge-up culminates in the release of a massive pillar of wind bursting upwards, dealing devastating damage and sending hunters sky high. When you see Kushala charging up this attack, immediately get out of the pull radius by rolling repeatedly or Wiredashing away.
Take Flight - Kushala Daora frequently takes to the air and flies around the battlefield. If its wind aura is active, it will fan a strong gust of winds outwards as it takes to the air, staggering any hunters in the path but dealing no damage. Use Flash Bombs to send it crashing down but note its diminishing returns after consecutive usage. The monster also has several attacks it can perform in the air:
- Fly By - Kushala postures up to its side whilst in the air and quickly swoops by a hunter, tackling them in the process. This attack is often followed up by a Dive Bomb. Always keep your eyes on Kushala at all times.
- Draconic Impact - Kushala flies backwards and upwards slightly and then proceeds to fly directly at the hunter at high speeds, turning 180 degrees as it lands and transitioning back to grounded state. Again, keep your eyes on Kushala as it may quickly follow up with an attack on the ground.
- Dragon Stomp - Kushala leaps into the air and imbues itself with dragon energy, indicated by a crackling crimson glow. It then stomps the hunter with its massive talons. If the attack connects, it deals massive damage and inflicts the Dragonblight ailment. Kushala will often follow up with a second stomp. If enraged, the monster will frequently follow up its basic Claw Swipes with a Dragon Stomp or two.
Kushala Daora Weaknesses
The table below indicates the various parts of Kushala Daora, including the damage values for each weapon type. This information is specific to MHRise.
|Kushala Daora Parts|
The table below indicates the various parts of Kushala Daora, including the damage values for each element. This information is specific to MHRise.
|Kushala Daora Parts|
Kushala Daora Ailment Effectiveness
The higher the bars on the graphs and the more stars, the more advantageous it will be for the player. This information is specific to MHRise.
Poison Status Effect Graph
Stun Status Effect Graph
Paralysis Status Effect Graph
Sleep Status Effect Graph
Blast Status Effect Graph
Exhaust Status Effect Graph
Fireblight Status Effect Graph
Waterblight Status Effect Graph
Thunderblight Status Effect Graph
Iceblight Status Effect Graph
Kushala Daora Materials
The tables below contain information on the materials that can be obtained from the High Rank variations of Kushala Daora. This information is specific to MHRise.
Master Rank Kushala Daora
The table below indicates the various materials obtained from the Master Rank variation of Kushala Daora and the drop rates for each.
|Material||Target Rewards||Capture Rewards||Break Part Rewards||Carves||Dropped Materials|
|Daora Cortex||16%||--||--||27% (Body), 12% (Tail)||34%, 50%|
|Daora Shard||28%||--||12%[x2] (Head)||23% (Body)||25%|
|Daora Hardclaw||21%||--||30%[x2] (Wing)||17% (Body)||10%, 10%|
|Daora Fellwing||15%||--||70% (Wing)||10% (Body)||--|
|Daora Lash||12%||--||--||80% (Tail)||--|
|Daora Gem||5%||--||5% (Head)||5% (Tail)||--|
|Large Elder Dragon Gem||3%||--||3% (Head)||2% (Body), 3% (Tail)||1%|
|Daora Hardhorn||--||--||80% (Head)||21% (Body)||--|
|Elder Dragon Blood||--||--||--||--||15%, 15%|
|Old Dragon Treasure||--||--||--||--||25%|
High Rank Kushala Daora
The table below indicates the various materials obtained from the High Rank variation of Kushala Daora and the drop rates for each.
|Material||Target Rewards||Capture Rewards||Break Part Rewards||Carves||Dropped Materials|
|Daora Carapace||16%||-||-||30% (Body), 17% (Tail)||34%, 30%|
|Daora Dragon Scale+||32%||-||17%[x2] (Head)||24% (Body)||45%|
|Daora Claw+||21%||-||30%[x2] (Wing)||15% (Body)||10%, 10%|
|Daora Webbing||16%||-||70% (Wing)||12% (Body)||-|
|Daora Tail||12%||-||-||80% (Tail)||-|
|Daora Gem||3%||-||3% (Head)||2% (Body), 3% (Tail)||1%|
|Daora Horn +||-||-||80% (Head)||17% (Body)||
|Elder Dragon Blood||-||-||-||-||15%, 15%|
Low Rank Kushala Daora
This monster is only available in High Rank and Master Rank.
Kushala Daora Weapons & Armor
The following are weapons and armor sets related to Kushala Daora. This information is specific to MHRise.
Kushala Daora Weapons
- Tigrine Need
- Icesteel Edge I
- Tigrex Sword
- Chef's Knife
- Icesteel Dagger I
- Icesteel Fang I
- Daora's Hook +
- Daora's Ventus
- Daora's Razor +
- Daora's Maelstrom
- Bloom Snow Blade
- Bloom Snow Blade +
- Daora's Decimator +
- Foreboding Shamshir +
- King Teostra Blade +
- Daora's Tughril Beg
- Dreaded Shamshir
- Teostra del Sol
- Daora Grande +
- Daora's Ceti
- Daora's Hornet +
- Daora's Yellowjacket
- Daora's Thwartoise +
- Daora's Worldbearer
- Daora's Farasa I
- Daora's Janah
- Daora's Janah +
- Daora's Ajniha
- Icesteel Hammer I
- Daora's Casca I
- Daora's Entom I
- Icesteel Wasp I
- Daora's Delphinidae I
- Icesteel Bow I
- Hi Ninja Sword
- Base Commander Set
- Icesteel Blade I
- Daora's Raid
- Daora's Raid +
- Daora's Storm
- Daora's Tethidine +
- Daora's Samudra
- Daora's Taus I
- Daora's Baphophone
- Daora's Baphophone +
- Daora's Diabassoon
- Icesteel Spear I
- Daora's Fang
- Daora's Fang +
- Daora's Regulus
- Icesteel Gunlance I
- Daora's Brigia
- Daora's Brigia +
- Daora's Tempest
Kushala Daora Buddy Weapons & Armor
Kushala Daora Notes & Trivia
- Introduced in Monster Hunter 2.
- Name written as 鋼龍 in Chinese.